Sunday, October 30, 2011

EXCLUSIVE: Wife of 'Sunday Rapist' talks

Melanie Steyn, wife of the alleged Sunday rapist, Jaco Steyn talks to Hanlie Retief of Rapport newspaper. Jaco Steyn is being accused of being a serial rapist and that he raped and killed Louise de Waal. He earlier gave himself up to the Police and confessed that he is the Sunday rapist.

In South Africa this is a very high profile case at the moment. Very difficult shoot, as the wife did not want to be identified and she hasn't spoken to any other media.

Johannesburg - "Sunday rapist" Johannes Jacobus Steyn reportedly raped and killed Roodepoort schoolgirl Louise de Waal while his wife was at work and his son was at school.

These details were contained in a signed confession made by Steyn, Beeld reported on Tuesday.

Steyn, 35, confessed to being the "Sunday rapist" before a magistrate in the Krugersdorp Magistrate's Court on Friday.

He allegedly raped a number of young girls in Gauteng and the North West, mostly on Sundays, since 2008.

Raped at his home

His last victim was said to have been De Waal, who was abducted, raped and murdered last week.

According to the newspaper, Steyn allegedly raped de Waal in his home in the affluent suburb of Wilropark, in Roodepoort.

At the time, his wife was at work and their 6-year-old son was at school.

After committing the crime, he apparently called someone from his church and some friends.

He then got into his gold Mercedes-Benz and fled to Margate, on the KwaZulu-Natal south coast, where he eventually handed himself over to the police.

It was reported that he had planned to commit suicide.

Child porn

According to the report, police found child pornography on Steyn's computer. He had also burnt caps and wigs, which he used to disguise himself, as well as dildos [sex toys].

The Sunday rapist's reign of terror apparently began in November 2008.

He allegedly struck again in June and November 2009 in Rustenburg and Potchefstroom.

He was suspected of raping a 16-year-old girl from Vanderbijlpark in February last year and another teenager in Rustenburg in March that year.

On August 15, he allegedly raped an 18-year-old girl, also in Potchefstroom.

Police believed that he was the man who kidnapped 14-year-old Lazanne Farmer and her 16-year-old friend in September.

Farmer died when she jumped from a moving car during the kidnapping.

Later that month, the "Sunday rapist" allegedly kidnapped and raped a 15-year-old girl in Carletonville and on October 31 last year he raped an 11-year-old girl in Krugersdorp.

13 rape charges

Steyn faces 13 charges of rape, 10 of kidnapping, one of murder and six of sexual assault.

The matter has been postponed until December 13 for further investigation. The State has applied for all the charges against him to be centralised.

According to the Beeld, when he appeared in court on Monday, Steyn was wearing the same clothes he wore when he abducted, raped and killed de Waal.

The court has ruled that photographs of Steyn may not be displayed in a manner that could show his identity, as an identity parade might be needed at a later stage.

Steyn's colleagues at Burger Ceiling and Partitioning Distributors were receiving counselling organised by their employer, the newspaper reported.

Johannesburg - The man accused of killing Roodepoort schoolgirl Louise de Waal has confessed to being the "Sunday rapist", police said on Monday.

"Johannes Jacobus Steyn confessed before a magistrate in Krugersdorp on Friday," Lieutenant Colonel Tshisikhawe Ndou told reporters outside the Krugersdorp Magistrate's Court.

"He confessed to being the so-called Sunday Rapist, but not to being De Waal's murderer", he said.

Steyn had allegedly raped a number of young girls in Gauteng and the North West, mostly on Sundays, since 2008.

"As you all know, the modus operandi was the same in all these rapes. He wore a wig, sunglasses and a cap. He confessed to that."

Steyn covered his face with a jacket as he entered the courtroom on Monday.

He quickly sat down and buried his head between his legs. He continued covering his head as the charges were read to him.

Steyn faces 13 charges of rape, 10 of kidnapping, one of murder and six of sexual assault.

The case was postponed to December 13 for further investigation.

The court ruled that photographs of Steyn may not be displayed in a manner that could show his identity, as an identity parade might be needed at a later stage.

Steyn allegedly abducted De Waal in Roodepoort, west of Johannesburg, nearly a week ago. She would have turned 17 at the weekend.

A burnt body, believed to be hers, was found on a farm in Magaliesburg later the same day.

Steyn handed himself over at the Margate police station in KwaZulu-Natal on Thursday morning.

Two cases of kidnapping he allegedly committed in Rustenburg and Potchefstroom in the North West province, would also be heard at the Krugersdorp Magistrate's Court.

This was after the State applied for all cases against him to be centralised.

Outside the court, a lone poster strung around a refuse bin read: "Hang the bliksem."

The full story (Afrikaans) :

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Currie Cup Final. Lions vs Sharks.

Yesterday I had a shoot for Beeld newspaper as a pre-story on the Currie Cup Final.

For this quick, half hour shoot we went to Johannesburg Stadium, next to Ellis Park Stadium. There I took photos of Jakkie Louw in a Sharks jersey and Danny K in a Lions jersey.

Friday, October 28, 2011

ANC Youth League March, Johannesburg.

 ANC Youth League members had completed the first stage of their three-stage march for economic freedom by 3.30pm on Thursday.
Around 5000 marchers handed over a memorandum to the Chamber of Mines in the Johannesburg CBD in the first stage.
They had set off from Beyers Naude Square at noon, four hours later than planned due to transport problems.
Led by ANC Youth League president Julius Malema and a formation of police cars, four Casspirs and a water cannon, the group sang revolutionary songs and danced through the CBD.
Chamber of Mines CEO Bheki Sibiya accepted the memorandum after ANCYL deputy president Ronald Lamola read out the grievances contained in it.
Sibiya told reporters the chamber would apply its mind to the content of a memorandum.
“We understand that the level of unemployment is too high and we agree with the youth league that the level of poverty is too high,” he said.
“We will distribute it (memorandum) to our 55 members.”
The league was demanding the nationalisation of mines and the introduction of probation programmes within companies to give youth skills in mining.
The memorandum calls for better wages for mine workers and the active involvement of mining companies in the development of the industry.
After spending 20 minutes at the chamber's offices, marchers headed to the next planned stage of the march, the Johannesburg Stock Exchange in Sandton.
Malema urged supporters to exercise maximum discipline throughout their “long walk to economic freedom”.
“Take your time and walk. We have the whole day and night. You must not run,” he said.
“We (the leadership) are coming to march with you because we are all from poor backgrounds.”
However, the marchers’ spirits started flagging just after 2pm as they entered Oxford Road in Killarney.
They stopped to wait for a water tanker as several people were dehydrated and at least five people had fainted.
The marchers were no longer singing and dancing, but shuffling along in the heat.
Some of the placards carried by marchers read: “The real freedom is economic not parliamentary. Free my people.”
Another with slain Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi's picture read: “We salute anti-imperialist martyr Gaddafi”.
Others read: “90 percent of the economy is still in the hands of the minority” and “Malema we must stand by you through thick and thin.”
Juice and water was handed out as marchers reached the Rosebank Zone, and supporters resumed singing and dancing.
Gauteng police spokesman Lt-Col Lungelo Dlamini said the march had been peaceful so far.
“There have been no disruptions since the march started. Everything is peaceful.”
Police and a private security company hired by the youth league were monitoring the situation.
Meanwhile, the Johannesburg Stock Exchange in Gwen Lane in Sandton was prepared with railing gates wrapped in black plastic sealing off its underground parking entrances.
Police in bakkies waited at the end of Gwen Lane, which was blocked at one end.
Once marchers had handed over a memorandum to the JSE, the plan was for them to march to Pretoria where a night vigil was to be held prior to a march on the Union Buildings on Friday.
The last mass action by ANCYL members happened outside Luthuli House in central Johannesburg at the start of Malema’s disciplinary hearing last month.
Youth league members threw rocks, bottles and bricks at journalists and police, and burnt ANC flags and t-shirts with pictures of President Jacob Zuma printed on them.
The march was taking place a day after testimony in Malema’s disciplinary hearing was concluded. He and several co-leaders face charges of bringing the ruling party into disrepute.
Earlier, the SABC reported that members of the Congress of SA Students (Cosas) had forced pupils from Alexandra and Soweto schools to join the march. - Sapa